Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
First, here are some important statistics about loss of hearing and hearing aids in the US:
- Of the total populace, about 14% have some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who need hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because untreated hearing loss has been connected to several health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new studies come out every day showing how crucial hearing is to your general health. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in certain instances even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very persuasive point. But that cost can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can make a huge effect, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into higher education and make a livable wage when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.